Saturday 21 December 2013

Yunus Emre is His Name

Yunus Emre is His Name

I want to share with you, one of the humanist and sufi like Rumi from my home country, Turkey.  His name is Yunus Emre.  He was a Turkish poet and sufi mystic.  He has excercised immense influence on Turkish literature, from his own time till the present.  He remains a popular figure in a number of countries , streching from Azerbaijan to the Balkans, with seven different widely dispersed locations disputing the privilege of having his tomb within their boundaries.


His poems, written in the tradition of Anatolian folk poetry, mainly concern divine love as well as human destiny.  Below I have translated one of his poems from turkish to English. 
Yunus durur benim adım
Gün geçtikçe artar odum
İki cihanda maksûdum
Bana seni gerek seni.
Yunus Emre the mystic is my name,
Each passing day fans and rouses my flame,
What I desire in both worlds is the same:
You're the one I need, you're the one I crave. 
Sincerely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment